24.1.10

Zucchini & Cinnamon Loaf




I know, you can't always judge a book by it's cover but I happen to judge recipes by their pictures. It defines them. It's the recipes first impression. It's rare that I would ever bake something without seeing a picture. Alas, here I am. Frustrated. I cannot capture the wonderful moist deliciousness of this loaf to share with you, to show you, to tease you. So if you're anything like me you're going to have to be brave. Take a leap of faith and trust me when I say that this loaf is truly delightful.

I've been skeptical of Zucchini loafs. I mean, who uses vegetables to bake? I've gone to great lengths to find the perfect zucchini loaf recipe and I can confidently say that I have found it. The flavor of zucchini is often described as 'delicate' which means it will add little flavor to a dish, but what it lacks in flavor it more than makes up for with its lovely moist texture. That's why I chose this recipe. The cinnamon sugar crust and the glaze seemed like they would compliment each other and the zucchini wonderfully. They did. It was perfect.


Zucchini & Cinnamon Loaf
Adapted from: sophistimom

Ingredients

Crust
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Loaf
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
3 eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups finely grated zucchini (approximately three small zucchinis)

Glaze
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 325°F. Mix together cinnamon and sugar for the crust. Butter 2 medium size loaf pans and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar mixture, just as you would flour a pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugars and butter. Add in eggs, one at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla, sour cream and zucchini.

Fold dry ingredients into the zucchini mixture, and divide evenly among pans.

Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let loafs cool completely. Carefully remove from pans.

Mix together confectioner’s sugar, cream, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth. Add more liquid as necessary to make a smooth, runny glaze. Pour over loafs.
 
 



 

4 comments:

  1. Just made it...amazingly delicious! Rxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this the other day for my little boy and he loved it!!! I figured maybe it was somewhat healthy and a good way to get some veggies in :). Instead of the glaze I made a cream cheese icing and it was delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy this loaf was such a success for you ladies! This is definitely a favorite quick bread recipe for me - so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i made this and it came out so great. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails