9.8.11

Cherry Crisp


My mom gets all the credit here.

I took the pictures and gave her two thumbs up with a full tummy of this deliciousness.

You can't really go wrong with fresh cherries, a homemade crisp and dinner at mom's house, can you?

This was fantastic (so was the homemade ice-cream she topped it off with!) and was a perfect way to end a warm summer night with family.


Cherry Crispy
By: My mom

Ingredients

6 cups sweet, pitted cherries
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray

Topping:
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup rolled oats (regular)
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup sliced almonds

Directions

Preheat oven to 375. Prepare filling: Combine cherries, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, almond extract and salt in a large blow, toss gently.  Spoon cherry mixture into an 11 x 7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Prepare topping: Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, leveling with a knife.  Combine flour, oats, brown sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk (or whatever!).  Cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.  Stir in sliced almonds.  Sprinkle oat mixture evenly over cherry mixture.  Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is crisp.  Let stand 5 minutes, serve warm.

36 comments:

  1. Cheery cherry season: I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have masses of frozen cherries so this recipe is an ideal one for me to try. Thanks Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, this looks absolutely delicious! Thank mom for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the ice cream on the side -- this looks practically sinful its so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO trying this.. props to mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks incredible. Can your mom come over and make me some!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks soooo yummy. I must make this before cherries go out of season

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum!!!! i might need to try this..

    meaning you might need to bring me some! ;)

    love you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. on second thought! lets go to your moms! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this brings me back to when i was younger and my mom used to make a similar crisp..only with apples, but it was always served with two scoops of ice cream <3 yum yums

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE cherry season; I have bags and bags of them in my freezer! This recipe sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe, mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you love when someone else makes a delicious dessert? Lucky you! This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crisps are definitely the best! Mom recipes are always simply the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh your mom did this cherry crisp justice! Looks divine! I love summer cherries and this is a delightful fresh dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is gorgeous!! love it:) thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really want some of this :)
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks absolutely gorgeous! Yum... I love crisps... Thanks for this recipe! Your mom is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks wonderful and I'm inordinately fond of cherry desserts. This is my first visit to your blog so I've taken a bit of time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wait to eat something made by my mom :) These looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wowwww...who doesn't love cherries! And these crisps are simply awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, this looks delicious! A perfect summer dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is simply lovely! Especially with ice cream on top...yum! I made a similar one with frozen cherries...SO good!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks so delish! I made cherries and blueberries crisp last week. Made it minus flour and the texture was crisp and amazing.

    Thanks to your mom, my mouth is watering :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my goodness! i have to make these for my better half. he absolutely loves anything cherry.

    xo

    http://chanteusecherie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cherries have always been one of my favorite fruits (and flavors!) And nobody can ever cook like mom, right?

    ReplyDelete
  26. very tempting! im drooling as i type!!!

    http://intoxicatedchameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I second Candy's comment...drooling as I type this. Looks and sounds very delish. AND the ice cream definitely completes this dessert. Can't wait to try it :-)
    Thanks for visiting my blog...much love.

    xx, Iris
    www.velvetmoss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love a good crisp and this one looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pass it on over--looks and sounds so good. I love crisp and with cherries? Has to be incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mmm... Looks SO good!
    Can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yum! Beautiful and delicious! Good job to your mother!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails