30.4.10

Pecan Pie Bars


I got a trainer. A personal gym trainer. She makes me do grueling exercises and work out muscles I didn't even know existed.

I’m well aware that these desserts aren't exactly helping me reach my goal but when I got home from my first workout all I could think about was a hot shower and a treat.

You have no idea how hard I worked! I deserved it!

This aside, a dessert that is predominantly pecan is a definite favorite in my books. And can you believe it, I had never made pecan pie, bars or tarts… only happily consumed them.

Well that all changed last night. As a pecan anything lover I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed these bars. And, did you know that pecans are one of the healthiest snacks you can eat? They are naturally sodium free and contain only unsaturated heart healthy fat. They are particularly beneficial to your immune system, as they contain zinc and vitamin E, a natural antioxidant.

So really, it’s like I’m doing my body a huge favor by eating these bars! I’m on my way to being toned, fit and fabulous and these tasty pecan treats are helping me along the way! Total bonus!


Pecan Pie Bars
Adapted from:  I don't have a source as this is a photocopied recipe I've had for a while.

Ingredients

3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 eggs
2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions

Preheat oven  to 350° F. For crust, beat butter in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add powdered sugar; beat until well blended. Add flour gradually, beating at low speed after each addition. (Mixture will be crumbly but presses together easily).

Press dough evenly into ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Press mixture slightly up sides of pan (less than 1/4 inch) to form lip to hold filling.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, for filling, beat eggs lightly in medium bowl with fork. Add pecans, granulated sugar, corn syrup, melted butter and vanilla; mix well. Pour filling over partially baked crust. Return to oven; bake 35 to 40 minutes or until filling is set.

Loosen edges with knife. Cool completely on wire rack before cutting into squares. Cover and refrigerate until 10 to 15 minutes before serving time. Do not freeze. 

25 comments:

  1. oh wow, that looks exquisite!!
    my dad loves anything pecan, so maybe I'll try to bake these someday
    thanks for your comment (:

    Fernanda Lucila
    http://onethousandsixty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. :O YUM!!!
    i'll have to try making some :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks amazing defiantly a tasty food i like it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it looks delicious. What an amazing blog you have here. LOVE food! Thank you for making this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. funny that the first photo has less squares than the last one, I would have thought that they would disappear rather than multiply when left on a plate unattended!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooooooh yum I think I'll make these for Mother's Day ~ my mom LOVES pecan pie!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bookmarking this right away! It's right up my Southern alley.

    ReplyDelete
  8. o wow these have just made my mouth water!!!

    Char x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo mini pecan pies! Ok, now I'm hungry.

    xx FujiFiles

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pecan pie is so good yet so under rated. These look magical!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE pecan pie, but the problem is I only make it at Thanksgiving and Christmas. This bar version looks like an awesome alternative to make year around. :)

    Thanks too for your kind words on my blog! I'm working on not being too scared to put pictures of myself out there, lol.

    Bre @ http://theredbungalow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum!! Being a Southern Belle--I love me some pecan pie!! Not sure I could ever eat a "lower cal" version though...it's not natural! lol.

    Check out these MARGARITA CUPCAKES that I whipped up for Cinco de Mayo! Did you celebrate it? http://honeysucklechic.com/2010/05/05/cinco-de-mayo-inebriated-dessert%e2%80%a6/

    Ashley
    http://honeysucklechic.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made pecan bars at Christmas time and my husband couldn't get enough of them. Yours look perfect. So glad to know that they are health food. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great recipe. I know wht u mean swating out!
    Stop by my blog to win a giveaway that I am doing

    xx
    Sahi
    http://barelyvogue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love pecan pie, and these look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks tres delish! Can't wait to try it out. :)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. haha Mary you made me laugh while reading about your workout and the treat you so deserved ~ you're too cute!! I too love pecans so this will be on my list of things to try! I have yet to try a single recipe from your blog here, but when I do I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow - these look REALLY yummy - i think i'm gonna have to give them a try!!!!

    Erika
    http://tiptoebutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ps - i'm now a follower - love for u to stop by my space !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You need to stop posting all of this dee-lish-us food!! I've already broken my diet once this week, I can't do it again! Ok, maybe I can for these bars, but then after these bars I can't ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. these look so tasty! loving your blog!

    http://asequindressatbreakfast.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. These look divine. I might have to make them for my coworkers! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pecan Pie is one of my favorite pies...it's super rich...but that's what makes it so delicious. I love seeing it in bar form! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails