21.3.11

Spinach, Mushroom & Pesto Lasagna


Oh Nonna, I’m about to give you a run for your money.

It seems I’ll do anything to impress the Italian husband. I want to shout out, “See, I can be Italian! I can cook!”

Fellow Italian wannabe’s, I made lasagna. Lasagna! Something I thought I would only ever enjoy at Nonna’s house (or from Costco’s frozen food section). After this I’m sure my in-laws are all going to think that I am the Italian one. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I’m starting to question my heritage too (and not just because I over exaggerate my hand gestures, happen to love pastries and pasta or causa like-uh to talk-uh with-uh an Italian-eh ak-uh-sent-uh).

I wish you could all come over to try it; you’d love it. And you'd be doing my thighs a big favor. Trust me; they are doing just fine thanks to these and these.

Make this if you’re attempting to impress any Italians in your life, for company or just because you love lasagna and I’m telling you it’ll knock your socks off it’s so good.

Thinking about going to the gym,
The Dysfunctional Dieter

P.S. Nonna, no one will ever make lasagna like you do.


Spinach, Mushroom & Pesto Lasagna
From: The Other Side Of Fifty

Ingredients

9 lasagna noodles
10 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1 large egg
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
2 cups diced onion
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
dash of crushed red pepper flakes
8 ounces of button mushrooms, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups Half & Half
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp basil pesto
12 oz mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8" X 11 1/2" baking dish with cooking spray.

In a separate baking dish place lasagna noodles and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 15 minutes while making the sauce.

In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta cheese, garlic powder and egg. Season well with salt and pepper. Set aside.

In a large skillet heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the onions and bell pepper, season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes and saute until onions are translucent, 6-7 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to saute until mushrooms lose their moisture, another 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute or two. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to combine. Continue cooking and stirring over medium heat for two minutes. Add the milk and half & half, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes until sauce has thickened a bit. Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cup pesto. Taste to see if salt and pepper are needed.

Drain lasagna noodles.

Spoon 2 Tbsp of the pesto on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Lay three noodles on top of the pesto. Top with 1/3 of the basil cream sauce (about 1 1/2 cups) and spread to cover noodles. Dollop 1/3 of the ricotta mixture on top of the sauce, then top the ricotta with 1/3 of the cheese slices. Repeat layers two more times. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place dish in oven. Bake for 25 minutes, uncover, then bake for another 25 minutes, until bubbly and browned. Let dish sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.

27 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely amazing. I'm not Italian but I think I better try this recipe :-) Nonna would be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This lasagna looks amazing, I love the huge amount of spinach that's in there! Even my husband, who doesn't care much for vegetables, would love this lasagna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I'm going to have to make this before it gets too warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks fabulous! any dish with mushrooms is an auto-fave in my book :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I've decided instantaneously that I am going to make this tomorrow night. Thanks for the recipe :)

    xo,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww what a sweet post! Your lasagna looks fabulous and I'm sure all Italians would be impressed! :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a truly gorgeous piece of lasagna!!! A great variation from the more traditional tomato sauce version and that this one doesn't have any meat in it - a very nice change!!!
    I love the title and tag line of your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! This - once again - looks incredibly delicious! xo, Gabbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks amazing Mary... I´ll definitely try it.

    xxx Thora @ the basic cookbook

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love making lasagna in any form. It can be so time consuming, but is definitely worth it. Leftovers taste just as good as the first time out of the oven which is a huge plus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love pesto. This sounds amazing. I definitely want to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower.
    I invite you to visit my blog and follow me.

    God Bless You :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for stopping by wandering spice and leaving such a nice comment :) this lasagne looks delish. i love all things spinach so can't go wrong with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks yummy! Nice blog, following you now ;) Love your food presentation as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. By the way, how did you insert your link into my comment section? html? I would love to know how you did it with just your site name and not the whole web address...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well that sure is a good looking lasagna. I love lasagna too... It's just sooo good but also sooo bad for my waistline.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so delicious, you just made my stomach rumble! Thank you for sharing <3

    www.featherfactor.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks fabulous. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mary, this lasagna looks so delicious! I'm always trying to change it up with different flavors and this is one dinner I know me and my husband would love. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I happen to have a bit of a pesto fetish, so I cannot wait to try this! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am all for a vegetarian treat like this lasagna--- loaded with spinach, mushrooms and my old time favorite the pesto!! Great work:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. i like with ricotta delicious lasagna

    ReplyDelete
  23. If I had those smores cookies and brownies, AND lasagna, my thighs would also definitely suffer! I love spinach in pasta, I'm also liking the addition of mushrooms too, yum yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your lasagne is SO pretty! I love how the layers came out. The little pieces of red pepper really make it look mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm definitely going to have to try this. I typically make 'red' lasagna, but like to switch it up.

    I'm right with you on your special 'diet'. I think about the gym often, and how I don't plan on going. :)

    Chow on,
    Kacey

    ReplyDelete
  26. Spinach Mushroom Pesto Lasagna is a flavorful dish featuring layers of lasagna noodles, How Improve Posture sautéed spinach, mushrooms, and a rich pesto sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails