5.3.10

Chocolate-Dipped Frozen Banana Bites


I start to panic if I don't have baking in the house. It's possible that you'll see me emptying the pantry to find anything with sugar to fix my hourly daily craving. The result? Empty marshmallow bags, chocolate chips scattered everywhere and caramel sauce stuck to the kitchen counter. I do, however, freeze a lot of what I bake. One, because it would just be wrong if my husband and I finished everything in one sitting and two, it's always nice to know that there is something delicious waiting in the freezer. These chocolate-dipped frozen banana bites are the perfect treat and are meant to be frozen! How could I not try these?

Although I thoroughly enjoyed eating these as I made them (banana, warm melted chocolate and a crunchy chocolate bar exterior, yum!) they were equally delicious as a frozen treat the following day. For coating the banana I used Coffee Crisp, Skor Bar and Oreo crumbs (separately). The chocolate bar toppings seemed the be the popular choice but be creative and see what you can come up with. Also, if you're like me and think that you should squish the sliced banana into a ball before coating it in chocolate and you're favorite topping, don't. I tired this and recommend against it :-)

Oh, and of course, the bonus? I think it's safe to say that this tasty treat is on the healthy side as the nutritional information says these are under 80 calories. Love that!

Chocolate-Dipped Frozen Banana Bites
Adapted from: Bon Appétit

Ingredients

2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 ripe bananas, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
Assorted toppings for coating bananas (use your favorite nuts, candies or cookies to coat the bananas such as crushed chocolate sandwich cookies, Skor Bar, Coffee Crisp, toffee bits, chopped salted peanuts, or toasted shredded sweetened coconut)

Directions

Stir chocolate and oil in heavy small saucepan over low heat just until smooth. Let stand 15 minutes to cool.

Place each topping in separate shallow dish. Line baking sheet with foil. Arrange banana slices on foil. Using fingers, dip 1 banana slice in chocolate, coating completely. Shake off excess chocolate. Drop dipped banana in one topping. Using a spoon, sprinkle more topping over banana to coat; transfer to foil-lined sheet. Repeat with remaining bananas, chocolate, and toppings. Freeze until firm, about 3 hours, then serve and enjoy.

 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, forgot to sign out of my hubbies account before I posted, sorry Mary :)

    Mary! These look so good! If I keep following your recipes I'm going to be so fat!! I'm going to have to work out every day :)
    Shawna

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails